View My Stats

2014年6月8日 星期日

My Grandmother

(Kar) I found a portrait of my grandmother in a small box at the bottom of a drawer. On her face in the photo, there was mild smile. Looking at the portrait, I recalled my thoughts of her life many years ago.

My grandmother was from a poor family and received schooling at a girls’ high school. After graduating from the school, she returned home. She wanted to go to college but her parents did not agree with her. However, her will was strong, not to be changed even though she could not achieve her dream.

A couple of years later, her parents arranged her marriage. She moved into my grandfather’s house in the countryside once she got married. After settling down there, she needed to work in the field. Yet, my grandmother did not get along with the women not having any education. She also did not become an artless village woman. She told me of a time when she was unhappy since her pride did not allow her to make friends with those people without any eduation. She spent her last days in a hospital as a result of feeling painful. The worst was that she could not breathe. Although she suffered from a serious illness, she still kept her pride of a woman having higher education even she was in the hospital. My grandmother not only got up early but also groomed her hair neatly. She kept her pride until the last moment.

In my memory, my grandmother is still alive as a woman with higher education. I feel her life was unhappy. Nevertheless, she always prided herself on getting a good education.

沒有留言:

張貼留言