View My Stats

2014年5月17日 星期六

An Unforgotten Experience

 (Kate) Smartphones are nowadays popular with users. The former is convenient for some users developing their social networks through using the smartphones’ apparatus such as WhatsApp, Facebook as well as WeChat. Those people can surf the Net whenever they can. For examples, netizens can read news on their smartphones. They need not to spend money on buying newspapers. They can also read maps on theirs. However, hikers once are lost in the countryside, they cannot surf the net reading the smartphone maps if there is no mobile network coverage. I had an experience of losing in the countryside.
I went hiking with my friend, Simon, last year. He had asked me to take a map and compass for hiking but I did not. I thought I could read the maps on my iPhone instead. It was fine that morning. There are lots of big and tall trees standing on either the left or the right of the paths everywhere in the countryside. We were chatting and walking slowly on the paths, listening to the  singing of birds in the trees and taking photos, including colourful flowers, grassy-green hills and beautiful butterflies resting on leaves. We were relaxed and enjoyed such nice scenery there. Nevertheless, the blue sky suddenly turned dark and was covered with thick black clouds when we were having lunch sitting on a big mushroom-shaped rock. Running quickly under a heavy rain, we got soaked. Luckily, we found a pavilion nearby and took a rest. The weather was awful in that afternoon and it was wet and foggy. Seeing around the corner that was fuzzy, not clear at all, we lost. I surfed the net for reading the map on my iPhone but there was not any mobile network coverage. Also, I could not call the police for rescue team. The worst was that we shouted loudly for help but getting no answers. Being frightened, we waited for a long time before meeting a couple of hikers passing by. Finally, we followed them getting downhill.

Although smartphones are useful and convenient for users, they do not work in areas where there are out of network coverage. If the area where, I went hiking, had had mobile network coverage, I would not have lost. I have learnt my lesson and taken the map and compass for hiking since then.

沒有留言:

張貼留言